History
In 1905, the Lloyd Street Synagogue once again becomes home to a Jewish
congregation, Shomrei Mishmeres. Its spiritual leader, Rabbi Avraham
Schwartz, becomes known as the "chief rabbi" of the Orthodox East European
Jewish community. Shomrei Mishmeres occupies the Synagogue until
disbanding in the 1950s. Shomrei Mishmeres Hakodesh (1905-1963), one of
the leading Orthodox congregations of the East European immigrant
community.

1958: With most of its membership base having moved from East Baltimore,
the dwindling Shomrei Mishmeres Congregation contemplates selling the
deteriorating Lloyd Street Synagogue to commercial buyers. Wilbur Hunter,
director of the Peale Museum, learns of the potential sale and alerts the
Baltimore Jewish community to the urgent need to save the building from
possible destruction. The Baltimore Board of Rabbis appoints a committee to
investigate how the historic landmark might be preserved.

1960: The Jewish Historical Society of Maryland is created, with the mission to
acquire, renovate, and maintain the Lloyd Street Synagogue. Four years later
the partially-restored Synagogue is dedicated and opened to the public.
History
About Our Shul