In 1905, the Lloyd Street Synagogue once again becomes home to
a Jewish congregation, Shomrei Mishmeres. Its spiritual leader,
Rabbi Avraham Schwartz, becomes known as the "chief rabbi" of the
Orthodox East European Jewish community. Shomrei Mishmeres
occupies the Synagogue until disbanding in the 1950s. Shomrei
Mishmeres Hakodesh (1905-1963), one of the leading Orthodox
congregations of the East European immigrant community.
1958: With most of its membership base having moved from East
Baltimore, the dwindling Shomrei Mishmeres Congregation
contemplates selling the deteriorating Lloyd Street Synagogue to
commercial buyers. Wilbur Hunter, director of the Peale Museum,
learns of the potential sale and alerts the Baltimore Jewish
community to the urgent need to save the building from possible
destruction. The Baltimore Board of Rabbis appoints a committee to
investigate how the historic landmark might be preserved.
1960: The Jewish Historical Society of Maryland is created, with the
mission to acquire, renovate, and maintain the Lloyd Street
Synagogue. Four years later the partially-restored Synagogue is
dedicated and opened to the public.
|Bais Medrash Shomrei Mishmeres Hakodesh
2821 W. Strathmore Avenue